Student Criminal Defense Lawyer in Raleigh
Are you a student at a college in the Research Triangle area who was recently arrested for an alleged criminal offense? You should exercise your right to remain silent until you are able to contact Coolidge Law Firm.
Raleigh criminal defense lawyer David Coolidge aggressively defends students in Raleigh, Holly Springs, Knightdale, Apex, Cary, Fuquay-Varina, Garner, and several other surrounding areas of Wake County. You can have our attorney provide a complete evaluation of your case as soon as you call to take advantage of a free, confidential consultation.
Attorney for Student Criminal Defense in Raleigh
The Raleigh–Durham–Chapel Hill area of North Carolina became known as the Research Triangle largely because of the prominent universities that attracted scores of college students. Major institutions of higher learning in this region include Duke University, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC), North Carolina State University (NCSU), Wake Technical Community College (Wake Tech), Meredith College, Shaw University, and William Peace University.
The risks are high and the consequences severe for anyone facing criminal charges. For college students, the collateral damages can often have a significant impact on their ability to remain in school. Colleges and universities often take disciplinary action that may include suspending or expelling a student.
North Carolina Student Criminal Defense Information Center
- Common Criminal Charges Against Students in Wake County
- Additional Discipline for Students in Raleigh
- North Carolina Student Criminal Defense Resources
Common Criminal Charges Against Students in Raleigh
College and high school students in Raleigh can be arrested for any violation of federal, state, or local law. In many cases, students are arrested for some kind of unlawful activity involving drugs or alcohol.
A few of the most common kinds of criminal charges that students often face in the Research Triangle include, but are not limited to:
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- Underage Possession of Alcohol
- Identity Theft
- Worthless Checks
- Criminal Trespass
- Reckless Driving / Aggressive Driving
Additional Discipline for Students in Raleigh
In many student arrest cases, the criminal charges are one aspect that requires court appearances. Most students will also have to deal with separate disciplinary issues arising from alleged violations of their institution’s code of student conduct.
Not all crimes in Raleigh are necessarily violations of a code of conduct, and not every code of conduct violation is a criminal offense. Many acts that lead to arrests, however, end up being reported to student organizations and can result in possible disciplinary measures.
The role of a criminal defense lawyer can vary for a student depending on the type of college or university that he or she is attending. While students at most public universities are allowed to have legal representation, some private colleges may restrict attorneys to only acting as advisors—although the lawyer can still help students during possible hearings.
The method of discipline imposed will depend on the academic institution but may include such measures as suspension, expulsion, or permanent notice on an academic record. Any one of these actions can have an extremely adverse impact on a student’s academic and professional career.
North Carolina Student Criminal Defense Resources
Here are links to specific regulations and policies for many major institutions of higher learning in the Raleigh area:
- Regulations and Policies | NC Community Colleges — Learn more about the Residency Determination Service (RDS), NC Diagnostic and Placement Test, and Reverse Transfer Program.
- Duke Policies | Duke University — Find academic policies, an alcohol policy, and policies applicable to all students.
- Policies & Procedures | Wake Technical Community College — You can find definitions for policy and procedures as well as recent policy updates, including changes to the student handbook.
- Policies, Regulations & Rules | NC State University — On the NC State Policies, Regulations, and Rules (PRR) website, you can view all policies, regulations, rules, and student PRRs.
- University Policies | UNC Chapel Hill — View UNC-Chapel Hill’s Policy on Policies (POP) and other policies, procedures, and standards applicable to the UNC Chapel Hill community.
Call a Student Criminal Defense Lawyer in Raleigh!
If you are a student in North Carolina who was recently arrested for an alleged criminal offense, it is in your best interest to retain legal counsel as soon as possible. Coolidge Law Firm represents students in communities all over Wake County, such as Wendell, Zebulon, Morrisville, Raleigh, Rolesville, Wake Forest, and many others.
David Coolidge is an experienced criminal defense attorney in Raleigh who will work tirelessly to help you achieve the most favorable outcome to your case that results in the fewest possible consequences. Attorney Coolidge has more than a decade of experience helping students navigate through their institution’s student conduct process. Never talk to any university official without having your own advocate; the results can be devastating. Call (919) 239-8448 or fill out an online contact form below to have our lawyer review your case and help you understand all of your legal options during a free initial consultation.